Today, I will explain how we can convert a picture to a base64 string.
The context for this request is a project in which I allow users to update their profile pictures with a badge showing their skills.
However, as I wanted to provide the users with the capability of restoring back their previous picture in case they dont like the new badge, I had to save the user profile picture in a location where it can be easily retrievable. I’ve opted for a SharePoint list, and created a multi line text field to store the base64 value of the user’s profile picture.
For this demo, I have created:
- A Canvas app (phone layout).
- I added into this app the following controls:
- Label : to display the user full name
- Image : for the user profile picture
- Button : to generate the base64 value of the user profile picture, this value is stored in a temporary variable
- Textbox : to show the variable
The button action is a simple as :
Once I set the varBase64 variable, I can set the TextBox value to this variable
The result will look like this: